CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Fun With Reefers

I finished my hometime this morning and drove out to the Budweiser plant in Fort Collins to pick up an empty trailer. After a while, I found the trailer, and it was certainly empty. Of fuel. And battery charge. I call my dispatcher who sends me to road repair who tells me that my dispatcher needs to decide whether to have me get the trailer fixed now or go find another one. This is the fun part. For over an hour, I send messages over the Qualcomm asking for a solution. I also called a lot, but got an automated message saying that my dispatcher is "away from their [sic] desk".

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHH!

I finally call the Prime "all purpose" number and get transferred to the supervisor who discovers that I'm being dispatched from Salt Lake City today (my normal dispatchers get days off?!) but the phones aren't transferring properly.

After all this is straightened out, it is decided that I am to go get this trailer fixed. First, I go to Johnson's Corner in Loveland since it is close and not far out of route. I get the trailer fueled and find that the shop doesn't open for another hour and decide that instead of waiting, I'll just drive down to another shop that's near my pickup. Great idea, huh?

Fast forward to the Tomahawk Truck Stop in Brush, Colorado. One guy is working the shop. Needless to say, this takes a while.

So after waking up at 4 am to get a trailer and get my load, I finally roll into Fort Morgan and grab the load at 3PM. Great start, huh?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep a set of jumper cables with you so you cant jump start the reefer from your tractor next time

Anonymous said...

How about some updates!!!! Keep up the good work. Enjoying the blog.

none said...

Roger,
I've been thinking about going over the road again and doing the lease option. I'm lookin at Prime and Central Refridgerated. I live in Las Vegas and my girlfriend wants to get her cdl so we can drive team for a year or two. No kids, no house payments, no car payments, no credit card payments. The plan is to drive otr a save enough money to put huge down payment on a house with a couple acres. What are your thoughts on those companies? Email me: xxcruzxx@gmail.com. Thanks, Tony
PS. I've drivin otr before with the blubird. My last six years has been driving linehaul with Conway and USF Reddeway. And, Schnieder trained me to get my cdl back in 99. I do make good money but, living in an apartment plus cable, power, gas, etc. keeps me living paycheck to paycheck not being able to save for house. OTR will turn money spent on basic needs to money saved in the bank. $1,600 per month basic living; 18,000 per year.

Anonymous said...

He is on CAD defending the prime lease... and doing a good job

Anonymous said...

Roger,

You went thru Schneider training at the same time my BF did in Green Bay. He didn't stick w/them either, driving local now. I've enjoyed your blog and hope you have some updates for us soon. Safe travels!

Bobby D. said...

nifty blog!

Anonymous said...

frist of all nice to see anotheir prime driver on here .sounds like you got your self one of those days from hell .just want to say keep up the good work saw you on cad giving some very good info on the real prime inc storie .a job driving trk is what you make of it i love it here at prime going on my 3 year.no regerts so far. hope to see you out there stay safe .