CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 25, 2006

Another day gone...

Man, it's hard to be getting up at 0400. School went well today - it was just long. Half the day was lab and simulator, and half was classroom.

The lab consisted of us learning the proper way to climb in, on, and under the truck. We also got the basics of the four-point inspection and a demonstration of how to uncouple and couple the tractor and trailer.

Next, we went into the simulators for shifting practice. No scenery or anything - just a basic view of a basic dashboard that showed a speedometer, tachometer, and little else. It was nice way to get the idea of how to shift the thing without the distraction of things to hit, where the truck is going, etc. I got double-clutching down ok now and was starting to get the hang of "bump and run" downshifting (what? you have to hit the GAS to slow down?!). My biggest problems are that I'm trying to wrestle the shifter into place and I kind of panic when the shifter bounces back out and misses the gear. I just have to get it through my thick skull to get those RPMs back up before losing any speed. And which gear I need to aim for when I *DO* lose speed. And to not press the clutch all the way to the floor, which engages the evil, awful clutch brake.

It's been really nice having the kitchenette. My roommate/co-driver and I pooled our money and bought a bunch of groceries so that we don't have to eat out every night. Tonight was Tuna Helper night, while we had chicken and potatoes last night. It really does save on money and calories.

I'm both excited and nervous about tomorrow. It's going to be our first day actually on the trucks. I've really been looking forward to this, but there is a LOT to remember when you're trying to keep that big thing under control. I know, it'll become like second nature later, but for now, it's pretty intimidating.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are going to do just fine. I have faith in you Rodger. :)